2006 Alberta Classic Derby

I will use this space as a diary for this derby. Please email me if you'd like to bring something to my attention because I disabled posting for this forum.

Postby Karl » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:55 pm

5th race: 103 miles - 2 3/4 hours
Birds entered and clocking list at: http://www.tmakowecki.com/Calendar/ ... gust12.php
This time it was only one bird that found it difficult to keep up due to lack of feathers and this may be indicative of some success in slowing the molt.

Coated mix, Elecrolit on their return replaced later with AP.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:31 pm

5 miles AM & PM
We'll always feed coated mix and AP in the water unless something else is warranted.
Remember 2006 CCRPA 1738?

One sometimes calls birds like that "Schiefflieger" in German which, literally translated, means lopsided flier and is usually the result of a paratyphoid infection. This is not what a fancier wants to propagate in his/her loft. I was consequently looking at this bird again and checked for any swollen joints since this is where salmonella prefers to set up the infective process. The joints checked out OK but there was swelling in the affected wing whereas there is just a smooth bone in the healthy wing at this place.
I am fortunate that Ihave an x-ray machine available:

This still does not explain where this bird broke its wing but at least I don't have to worry about it being the breeding ground for salmonella bacteria.
The 2 ends are aligned quite well. The developed calluses show that healing is well on its way.
This pleases me because the bird can stay in the loft and I don't have to even contemplate the alternative which is becoming more and more difficult the older I get. It would appear that it takes a lifetime to really appreciate the gift of life. Perhaps that's the reason why I don't see older people being suicide bombers. :?: :?:
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:58 pm

13 miles AM & PM
Fortified 4in1
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 pm

13 miles AM & PM
Finished the gallon of 4in1, then AP

Think of how often these flights have to flex like this in the course of a year without getting fatigued and breaking!
||||^^
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Locked up to rest for tomorrow's 4 hour race, probably from 160 miles as we expect a light head wind.
Acid-Pak and coated mix as usual.

http://www.tmakowecki.com/Calendar/ ... gust18.php

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 pm

160 miles - light head winds - 4 hours

Oat groats and Electrolytes on their return, then the usual stuff.

Still missing 2 of them.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:25 am

# 11881 returned this morning and I wonder why he couldn't make it yesterday.
2 miles AM (including 2006 CCRPA 1738) after which they went and picked up a flock (probably Tom's) to keep flying with them until I called them down. It didn't look like they are especially tired although they were very thirsty when they came home yesterday.
I will try to get 2006 CCRPA 1738 into the next race which will be a very tough one.

Oat goats followed by coated mix. AP
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:24 pm

2 miles AM and 5 miles PM
Depurative, then coated mix and A-P
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12 pm

5 miles AM & PM
Depurative, then coated mix and A-P

A participant asked for some clarification and this is what I answered:
"I was very happy with keeping any health concerns under good control this year but was bothered by "fly-away s” (??? or hawks???) and the second race that turned out to be a smash. I organized a very small derby this year because I wanted to find a solution to the health issues we had been dealing with in previous years. That is the reason we decided to refund all money (perch and entry fees) for any bird that does not go to the final race, and I feel good about this decision. At least the fancier does not lose any money for losses such as we had.
We planned a 7th race in about a week’s time of 10 to 12 hours on the wing. I do not expect many birds to be able to fly this race on the day but I do hope for some day birds. This will be a 2 day race. Once the results of this race are in the overall results can be calculated as well as the prize money. I will try to send out all prize money and refunds within a week of the final race."
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:27 pm

Management as yesterday.
The birds just took off for home this morning without a circle, an indication that recuperation since the last race is proceeding well but it is also an indication that time is needed for this to take place.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:15 pm

Management as yesterday.
13 miles AM & PM
After half of the birds were in this morning, the birds inside suddenly took off toward the covered and protected part of the loft, the birds outside took off. I looked out to see what could cause such terror (no religeus jokes, please :wink: ). It must have taken a second until I saw a falcon halfheartedly after them.
What surprised me was the speed of communication between the outside birds and those already inside because the inside birds flew off before the outside birds did and long before they could see the bird of prey.
It took me 2 hours to coax them back down after I soaped a stock bird's flights and put him on the landing board.

Below is a picture of the release. I am surprised at how far the beak opens on different birds. I wonder if this is just a temporary state, a quick inhalation as they take off.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:33 pm

Management as yesterday.
13 miles AM & PM

I saw this guy again this evening and it bothers me not knowing who it is. I will try to find out tomorrow.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:04 pm

Management as yesterday.
13 miles AM & PM
I still could not find the "open beak" and will keep looking.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Management as yesterday.
13 miles AM & 5 miles PM

I took a picture of each bird separately after it was released and did not find anyone with the beak open. This may have been either a temporary thing birds do occasionally or may be related to them being released from the common training basket.

I am pencilling in a 400 mile race from Regina for Monday if the weather holds. Any changes in the weather prediction may change this date and/or release point.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:58 am

Depurative to which was added corn, safflower seeds, and milo.
A-P in the water
5 miles AM

They will be basketed this evening for the final race tomorrow morning and I do hope for some day birds. The weather forecast calls for 30 degrees C on the Canadian Prairies.

Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Catching the Sunrise
The birds were released this morning at 6:30 AM from Regina (50°36'54N & 104°46'13W) into a clear sky.
The weather at release was 7°C and calm. During the course of the race, the temperature increased to 28° C. The wind gradually became a moderate tailwind which decreased to a very light tailwind (S 5 km/hr) as we came closer to Edmonton.

Congratulations go to all participants. Since this last race is a 2-day race and is flown from 682 km, the overall results will have to wait until the race closes officially tomorrow night.
Today's race was won by 6115 (pictured above) who also won from Vegreville (85 km) and from Vermilion (168 km), except that he came all by himself today, 19 minutes ahead of the next group of 6 birds that were entered by Al McCormick, Grizzland/Regal, Bjorn Bjornson, Grizzland/Regal, and Gerry Yeatheard. Ali's 788 arrived 16 minutes later and then follow more singles such as Grizzland/Regal's 6339006, Stan Gawel's173.
6115 was entered by Gail&Ted Oddy who have been quite successful in previous Alberta Classic Derbies. Thank you for entering this beautiful bird! (6116 was second from 53 km and 165 km and won at 253 km!)
Today's best returns: Grizzland/Regal with 3 out of 3 :!:
682 km for these babies that are in the middle of their molt and were never trained any further than 13 miles is a very respectable achievement. |||^^

While looking at the results sheet http://www.tmakowecki.com/06birds/RaceResults.php , I see that even VIC236 returned. Remember how I had trouble getting her back on August 4th from even 2 miles (2days)? :oops:
I am glad that she was given another chance and show that she, too, can fly 420 miles as a youngster just 24 days later :!:
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 pm

The returning race birds found depurative mix. The water contained Electrolit. Because the birds do not like the recommended dosage I take the liberty in adding just 50% of it and although birds, lacking sweat glands, do not lose any electrolytes during racing, their droppings do tighten up and normalize much quicker through their use.
Some more birds came home today but one third of those entered failed to return. These long races do appear to separate the birds that we all should want to have in our lofts from those that just do not have what it takes. In this connection I remember "Mordant", another 420 mile winner of 1999 bought by Andy Skrobot. "Mordant" did not really figure in the top of the overall prize list but he sure bred well.
Here is what I wrote under the winner of the 2000 Alberta Classic, 2000 CU 38413:
The father of 2000 CU 38413 won the 420 mile race of the 1999 Alberta Classic. "like begets like..."

And here is some information of this year's third place winner 788 entered by Ali Stephen:
788 is a grdson of the Alberta Classic winner in 2000 Andy Skrobot's 2000 CU 38413. I have a lot of admiration for the Ytukay family that Andy has cultivated. The sire is bred by Bob Percival CU 2005 IND 51783 LE TOUR DES MARITIMES 2005 Scored 6th Long, 2nd 500 km and 6th Overall. Dam CU 2000 38413 overall winner of the 2000 Alberta Classic. Sire CU 1998 IND 1564 Van Boxmeer IND 51783 bred by Bob Percival.
The dam of 788 bred by Voyo Radoman which is a daughter of the sire of 1906 2 race Alberta Classic winner.

The race is now officially closed and a clocking list can be found here: http://www.tmakowecki.com/Calendar/ ... gust28.php
6115 gave a bit more yesterday than he had and hurt himself doing so. He had trouble drinking and was walking around after his attempt with the beak open and trying to vomit. I took him in and supplied 30 ml of water with a syringe.
As I arrived at the loft this morning he was prancing there in front of me. He doesn't speak English but he sure can talk :!: He appears to be better today, not cured but better.

This then concludes this diary of the 2006 Alberta Classic Derby. Your cheques will be in the mail within a week. Thanks for participating and also for passing by and keeping informed. |***|
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 pm

The loft names were added to the overall results at http://www.tmakowecki.com/06birds/RaceResults.php
(The reason they were not added previously to all the results is that the page is written by a program. All I need to do is put in the band number and time and the program figures out the total seconds and sorts the birds. After all 7 races are added, the overall result is calculated, sorted and printed.) :wink:
I will make a page of the champions again later this fall after the birds have molted and I can get some nice pictures.
The cheques are going to be put into the mail today.
27080 returned in all this rain who, along with its nest mate 27081 are very consistent birds except that they did not like the 420 mile race. 27080 was very hungry.
Karl
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Alberta Classic Derby