Info please.

All posts related to genetics

Info please.

Postby Halcanada » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Remember a young fellow posting on here about banding late hatches and flying them as old birds. Fancier from the UK was asking about them. Wonder if he still does it?
Halcanada

Re: Info please.

Postby Roly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 am

Yes Hal. Many do. Our North Road Fed passed a ruling too, that even y/b's could race in the Old Birds programme in the later races.
Know of many youngsters beating the old birds.
For example a myth that always surprises me is youngsters sent with old birds- especially hens, to help them (and SHOW them the way home lol.)
Fact is by the main and large the youngsters arrive well before the old birds.
Youngsters are full of zest and full of the enjoyment of flying.
Pigeons Interests before Fanciers ego's
Roly

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am

Well, Roly, age-wise these youngsters can be compared to human 18 and 20 year olds. There are not many reading this here that could compete against this age group. Our club was at one time considering to allow young birds to participate in old bird races but the program "winspeeed" that we use for figuring out the races is not set up for this.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Roly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am

Agree Karl. On one point I feel that they should be raced apart ... on the other hand, if one wants to put old rings on youngster, then one couldn't stop that.
Roly

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 pm

... on the other hand, if one wants to put old rings on youngster, then one couldn't stop that.
That's what that guy in Winnipeg was doing, Roly. You may agree that a club shouldn't make a rule against something that cannot be enforced.
An example: Another local club has a rule against darkening. Although darkened young birds have an easier time with flying since they have the necessary feathers those club members insist on dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator. What is even worse is that there is absolutely no way to police this. A bird bred in January in our latitudes and weaned to the normal day length present in January will have finished the body molt by April and be indistinguishable from a bird that molted as a result of being in a darkened loft. I can only imagine all the suspicion directed toward the winter breeder and that is not beneficial.
The reason I wanted to fly the winter bred youngsters in the old bird races was to simplify racing; with it one could fly the OB series as well as the YB series with the same birds and one would not need to keep so many birds. Well, it was just an idea whose time has not yet come.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Many years ago flew in one of the London, Ontario clubs. Was getting short of old birds so flew a few young birds hatched mid February, in a 200 mile OB race. No one objected. Placed 2nd and third. Then they objected. However no rules to stop me flying young in old bird series. Matter of fact, checked the Fed Constitution here. Not mentioned.
Halcanada

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Your federation is progressive, Hal, at least in this point. What program do they use to calculate the race results? We use winspeed and it did not accept the YB year among OB numbers.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeas ago it was done by hand. I think Winspeed now but not even sure. Club results by hand I think. However, will use old bands on next years later bred birds. No conflict.
Halcanada

Postby Karl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 am

Halcanada wrote:Remember a young fellow posting on here about banding late hatches and flying them as old birds. Fancier from the UK was asking about them. Wonder if he still does it?

Hi Hal,
This young fellow is Bobby Cielos from Winnipeg. He didn't fly last year but had a young one the year before that performed very well from the 400 and 500 mile stations. He told me that he wants to release some from Edmonton or Calgary this year. I told him to better make sure that they will have a stiff tailwind like my derby birds had when they flew 520 miles in 2001 and almost beat me home. They flew these 524.806 miles in 9 hours 0 minutes 53 seconds.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Louis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm

"with it one could fly the OB series as well as the YB series with the same birds and one would not need to keep so many birds. Well, it was just an idea whose time has not yet come"...Hey Karl, I have been thinking about the same thing these past few days. Just an idea, but in reality it would ruffle many feathers I am sure.
Louis

Postby Karl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 pm

You are right, Louis. It's not worth it because we all like to have the birds' feathers nice and smooth like vacuum packed, don't we? :grin:
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Way the "sport" is now, Trend is to go with numbers. Percentage wise is the safest bet. So young and old series will continue. One loft rs will gain more prominence as years go by. For good or bad. Ever evolving situation. One lofters one pays and hopes. Club Fed/Combine races much more excitement. But the lure of the money in one loft races is a magnet to some. Each to their own preferences. Actually I am entering a one loft race next year. Won a $1000 there many years ago with a bird bred out of Toms Will be some of his go again.
But each to their own.
Halcanada

Postby Roly » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 am

Halcanada wrote:Way the "sport" is now, Trend is to go with numbers. Percentage wise is the safest bet. So young and old series will continue. One loft rs will gain more prominence as years go by. For good or bad. Ever evolving situation. One lofters one pays and hopes. Club Fed/Combine races much more excitement. But the lure of the money in one loft races is a magnet to some. Each to their own preferences. Actually I am entering a one loft race next year. Won a $1000 there many years ago with a bird bred out of Toms Will be some of his go again.
But each to their own.

True Hal ... breed to lose eh! Counteract losses... more culls today are in the breeders lofts than what is good for both them and the sport.
Birds must, as far as I'm concerned, earn their perch let alone the nest box.
Roly

Return to Genetics