Winnipeg Club Auction

Anything related to auctions, local or world wide.

Winnipeg Club Auction

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Some fanciers (Bill Vulgaris, Harvey Singer, Tony Poetker, Cal Murray) of the Winnipeg club have a club auction at http://www.tmakowecki.com/cgi-bin/V ... ort=starts
Cal's birds will be posted in a week or so.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Karl. Want to bid on a bird. All my passcards are useless. Could you pm me with whatever? Appreiate it. Did email you but this puter is about done. Thanks.
Halcanada

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Hal,
I sent you and email. Good luck!
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks. All is well now.
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Quit bidding. Shipping to here is expensive. Rather buy 4 or so and get them shipped for the same price as one. Late breds. Tom, anyone interested email me. hhickton@hotmail.com
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Will have to work with what I have. Looks like a full house. 2 additions coming from a freind. Thanks for the emails.
Halcanada

Postby TMak » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Hal; I think you already had them from most of my best....but by the sounds of it - gave them away to your friends.
Enjoy the friendship and the pigeons!
TMak

Postby Halcanada » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Tom. Many of yours are here and fly out. Stock birds. Some bred me better than others. Some stock birds from you I cannot afford to let out.
Look at it this way. If one gets enough good birds out of a pair then the pair is not going anywhere. If the other stock birds cannot get me over 50% good ones then have to go. I do not have room for maybe's. Or switch mates etc,. I can run off the top of my head birds that I cannot afford to let out.
Cocks

36107 RC
1000 BC
4227 BB
Hens
8256 BB
932 BBwf
Belge hen BC
968 BB.
Bear in mind I have lots from these birds. Plus others from your originals. Mealy cock 963. Young bird won me a $1000 at the Empire Classic. But some good some bad in other YB's from him. So he is no longer with me.
I can keep a whole bunch of breeders and wait years changing matings etc,. Life is too short. I have Aardens from Hermman Gunnerman years back. Tried them and tried them. All will be eliminated in the fall. Young and old. No more 'hoping'. Just cannot keep to many 'maybe's.
Apart from the few Houbens and afore mentioned Aardens basically the birds here are from you. But as always, why change anything if it seems to be working? Have a Houben cock coming, trade for 963. Cluasen(?) bird. Try and fly.
Does good fine. If not eliminate.
Halcanada

Postby TMak » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Hal; I am sure you have some very good birds....maybe if manager was better - so would the results......Sometime it is easier, cheaper and more gratifying to just improve on management. But all of us like to try a new bird from time to time.....me too........and yes, I think m y own birds would race evenb better if - I paid more attention to detail and gave them every opportunity and preparation. The differenece between the win and the prize is often "management and preparation - not the piggeon itself.
Maybe my pigeons which have been bred with a laid back approach have done ok for you.....But I do think having pigeons adapt to our management is the easiest on us.
TMak

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 am

TMak wrote:...But all of us like to try a new bird from time to time.....me too........and yes, I think m y own birds would race evenb better if - I paid more attention to detail and gave them every opportunity and preparation.....

Not just birds, Tom. How many of us were at one time or another lusting for an adventure while our lives could have been so much richer and fulfilled by showering more TLC onto the good spouse at home. :wink:
But the grass is always greener ...
Karl
Site Admin

Postby TMak » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 am

I still feel THAT way Karl..... : )
I just don't get lucky .l. ............ : (

So I buy a bird here and there.....I have actually resisted for a few years now....I have good birds I still haven't tried in my own loft. Maybe old age is affecting me.
ps. You have a younger wife - who might have aged you = lucky guy!
TMak

Postby Halcanada » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 pm

But the grass is always greener ...
but it still has to be mowed...
maybe if manager was better - so would the results......

Agree 100%! I will fire the buffer! Oh, cannot fire myself....
gave them away to your friends.

Yes. To make room for younger birds off them. If I lose all the birds I have at present to some weasel or whatever, then I know I can restock with offspring from the ones I loaned out without a problem. One good deed deserves another. The people were these birds went to would not hesitate. 3 fanciers in all. Checking records earlier today. The only good Aarden I have was mated to a Houben. 2nd best pigeon here. 500 miler. My first 500 miler was out of yours also. BBar.
The Houben hen was killed over a year or so back by a coon. So traded 963 for the Houben cock and a hen. Not yet here. Too late to breed anyway. Stock loft divider finished today. So will attempt to mate the Aarden original cock to the Houben hen next year. 6 pairs for stock. 6 pairs of stock (some from you) in the other 4x8 section that are broke here. The hens from them will fly. Plan is 16 Widowhood cocks in the other 8x8 section. I have enough for next season. Was having brain farts the other night thinking I need better. As you said better management.
With my innattention to the birds they do come through in tough weather.
Halcanada

Postby TMak » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Omer Van Walleghem gave me some very good advice years ago....If you are not winning look to yourself for improvement.....If "some" of your birds are winning......then it is a good time to cull ( those that do not) and maybe try to find better. ( make an introduction or two).
As my old friend Jules Gallez used to tell me - "there are more good pigeons - than good fanciers". I AGREE......
Lastly: There are no secrets - unless one is not willing to learn.
TMak

Postby Halcanada » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm

There are no secrets - unless one is not willing to learn.

Yes. I learn all the time. Widowhood/double widowhood better than nest pigeons. Dark system better than normal or light system.
I do it the old style way I will lose many races? Sure accept that.
I need to win or come close in the 500. Have 3 cocks and 2 hens that can do that next year. Plus 8 potentials. Back to basics for me. 40 mile toss for young birds tomorrow. Weekend a 200 miler race. Thunderstorms forecast. Screw the moult. They have to go.
Halcanada

Postby billbutt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:14 am

Hal i don't agree with you asscesment of dark system is better than the light, I flew the light system for 13 years and won more than my share against darkies, also hal i only Flew to the nest and again i won more than my share against the widowhood cocks, I had some excelent results flying the upper canada national against 2500 to 3000 + birds flying to the nest, I think its more management than system j.m.o. bill
billbutt

Postby Halcanada » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Bill. Will have to wait and see for next years yearlings races. Trained but not raced. They are looking good and healthy. If I do not lose too many then will not race young birds at all next year. stick with raising a few only. Only going to raise 24 or so. All old birds go natural, as usual. Tom mentioned he lost quite a few unraced yearlings. Think he mentioned they were not trained as YB's. These have had maybe 15 tosses up to 80 some miles. Of course I lost some. I may be wrong but thinking here is that all the wear and tear of young bird racing has to take its toll. Healthwise also. On the other hand, if I lose a lot then will go back to sorting them by the basket in the races. But will still only raise a few.
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm

TMaks auction. mealy cock. 2970. $80. Heck, I thought it would have been in the top 3 price wise. But again, JMO.
Halcanada

Re: Winnipeg Club Auction

Postby David Ottaway » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Karl, I filled out the registration thing for the Auction but did not get a return e mail.I wanted to change my Handle .Did it come through?
David Ottaway

Postby David Ottaway » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm

As Far as light verses dark ybs system.The light system was the best for me.But no good for the next yr with the dry flights.They race better on the light for me.From your post Hal you neither race light or dark.Its just Hal's way ,so you really cant say which is better ?Can you? A full light system or a full dark system is nothing like i have posted on here that i use now.I use a lazy man dark system with the use of lights within the system.It is a system unto its own.Dare i call it the Ottaway System? Seems to get people going when you claim something of your own. But that's what it is. JMO :smile:
David Ottaway

Postby Karl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 pm

David Ottaway wrote:Karl, I filled out the registration thing for the Auction but did not get a return e mail.I wanted to change my Handle .Did it come through?

Sorry, Dave, I did not get your email but I found the problem and corrected it. Please try again. Thanks
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Never flew the dark system or the light 100%. Usually they just moult naturally. Did not race them last year just trained them to 80 miles. If I race yb's this year will put the lights on first week of June and see what happens.
"D.O. System!"
Halcanada

Postby David Ottaway » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeaaa lets hear it for Hal, A system ! ==prima== (\\)
David Ottaway

V&V auction

Postby Karl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I uploaded the Vulgaris&VanWalleghem auction a day or 2 ago. No fancier in Western Canada has earned as good a reputation as Omer for being a gentleman, top fancier and supplying Edmonton with so many good stock birds. Still, as I look at the bidding fanciers I do not see any who would really need to bring in some quality stock but instead I see those who have been and are being very successful.
Perhaps what separates the "winner" from the "loser" is the degree of desire for success. As long as one looks at one's race results through rose-colored glasses or as long as one is happy with mediocre results one will NEVER do any better.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Perhaps what separates the "winner" from the "loser" is the degree of desire for success.

Sorry, Karl. Have to disagree. I and many others would love to purchase those birds and others in the other auctions.
However the reason many do not bid is because of the economy. Very many fanciers are out of work and cash strapped. Extremely limited income.
Prices of birds in the current auctions are reasonable. But if one has no job or a reasonable income from another source then they are basically out of reach. Feed the kids or buy birds?
As mentioned would love some of the auction birds. But put it in perspective. The great majority of fanciers who race pigeons find it gets more expensive every year. Limited income limited purchasing power. I do beleive many will quit this year because of the ever rising cost of feed, gas to train them and a host of other factors. I also beleive there are just as many good birds in a fanciers loft that can be equal to any purchased. How to cut down costs of racing? Cut down numbers.
But be the first to admit the cost per bird sent to a race is minor compared to other costs. Less feed, meds, etc less outflow of cash. The majority of fliers today (I may be wrong) it can be an expensive hobby. But again, I am one of many who like to try something new occasionally. But with the 2 van loons and Houben I aquired this year it is just time to race all as hard as possible and eliminate through attrition. If I race them hard enough and some do good then they stay. Numbers are down Costs of feed etc are down. Back to an affordable hobby. I and many others on fixed income will either try it or quit due to expense. Personally I will not quit but know many others who are thinking about it.
Halcanada

Postby TMak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Hal - I have a tough time understanding you sometimes.......You don't see a problem with a $50 CU Membership but you think the cost of things will cause fanciers to quit....???????????????
It has and always will be priorities, I don't smoke anymore, I don't drink anymore - or buy strange women drinks: ) - I would rather spend some my extra money on some new birds or my race entry fees - or pigeon feed....
I do understand that some on fixed incomes find it tough.....I know guys who do not have enough and don't seem to waste it.....but if they enjoy the birds they do adjust.
Regardless, the present CU membership can be 4 bags of pigeon food and they don't feel like they get anything from the CU....
Each to their own.......but if the CU keeps raising things and hiring more people for a sport that is dieing....it will only speed up the process... IMO
TMak

Next

Return to Auctions