Winnipeg Club Auction

Anything related to auctions, local or world wide.

Re: Winnipeg Club Auction

Postby Bobby Cielos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm

|***| Dr Karl..

BobbyC.
Bobby Cielos

Postby TMak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm

It shows that the Darkening System mean just as much or more than the quality of the pigeon.....NOT that a quality pigeon isn't needed but that "youth and vigor" can be just as important!
Congrats Bobby..........it is good to try new things and I like that you did it with some LATE bred {old birds}......even if your club allows youngsters to fly with old birds.
Enjoy the friendship and the pigeons!
TMak

Postby Karl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Tom,
Why single out darkening? Are proper feeding, proper training, and all the other management techniques not just as important? Is darkening not just part of proper management?
I admit that I get annoyed at the "harping" on the darkening management technique. There are fanciers in our club that refuse to darken their young birds for fear of them being poor performers in the following year's old bird races as yearlings although nothing could be further from the truth.
I darkened my youngsters last year and they
    went through the molt twice
    did not finish the molt of the flight feathers
but one of the few I flew was still the best yearling in the club.
He was also my very first bird home from the 380 mile Alberta Open from Parkbeg last year which shows me that QUALITY = QUALITY. Let's not blame his success last year on darkening any more than crediting last year's darkening for his success this year.

Let's be sportsmen enough to congratulate Bobby for a job well done. |||^^ ||^^ ||^^ ||^^

2741, ace yearling this year, is double molting as can be seen in this picture taken today. 1 1/2 weeks ago he was flying a 500 mile race from which he regrettably was a day late.
Attachments
2741wing.jpg
2741wing.jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Karl
Site Admin

Postby TMak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Karl; My comments have nothing to do with our club or what anyone chooses to do. My point was that Darkening seems to bring out something special in those pigeons....I was never a good YB flyer but with darkening my young pigeons flew phenomenal....better than I ever dreamed....and yes, most of them flew very well as yearlings. But to fly good as a yearling and an older bird........any "system" seems to have less importance and bird quality seems to be more important - than system.
As I had stated earlier - I have heard that some Europeans are using the "latebred Darkened Birds" to beat the other old bird and yearlings.....I don't know why darkening has such an effect on these young pigeons but it seems to give them a step up.....Now - you and I have bothe discussed that if one wants to do well in YB races....darkening is all important and the SMART thing to do.................but for others who don't want to.....I am good with it. I only flew darkened birds two years.....and now I am OK with natural later breds....Racing pigeons is not all about winning for me......but I still enjoy racing my more natural pigeons.
I hope I did not offend you Bobby, your performance was good......and I congratulate you! I just commented on what I saw and thought. I apologize Bobby - if I made it sound like your birds are not of quality....that was not my intention. I just wanted to say that I think the Darkening birds fly even BETTER for some reason.
Karl; As for your yearling being the best in the club this year - Congrats! You would not hear me saying that darkeing pigeons cannot race well as yerarlings. My own were 1st and 2nd Best Yearlings in the CU and both flown on the Dark system as YB's. I do believe, it best to not have them moult twice as YB's but it doesn't seem to bother the really good ones.
Enjoy the friendship and the pigeons!
TMak

Postby Bobby Cielos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Not at all Tom and thanks ...

BobbyC.
Bobby Cielos

Postby Bobby Cielos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:04 pm

The last missing young hen came back today after 8 days. Only missing one old hen that place 5th last year 400 mls.

BobbyC.
Bobby Cielos

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Bobby Cielos wrote:The last missing young hen came back today after 8 days. Only missing one old hen that place 5th last year 400 mls.

BobbyC.

I like those that do not quit. :smile:
Karl
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Auctions