Advertising of Auctions

Anything related to auctions, local or world wide.

Advertising of Auctions

Postby TonyD » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I've found lately that there is no or very little advertising of auctions in my area (Toronto area).
With the internet you would think there would be more advertising....all I've heard about was the Rouge Valley auction and nothing else....

Strange
Enjoy your pigeons
TonyD

Postby David Ottaway » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Tony, I believe since auction sites have been born ,no one or very few have auctions at a hall were you handle the birds etc.Unless it is a live auction on the net like we have seen.It is just so much easier to send them off to a web auction.Saves on hall rentals and the auction site will do your advertising for you.Just one more advancement to keep pigeon guys from coming out to socialize in the off season.
David Ottaway

Postby jimm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Tony..You missed the ALLSTAR RACING auction last sunday..north of Bowmanville..mostly Ganus bred birds..
Also seen one that is in Hamilton..Bob Duhra..Nov.19th..and another in London Ontario..so guess there are still a few around..
jimm

Postby George Bosma » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 am

We still have a few club auctions here in the upper Midwest. Ther was one in St Paul Minnesota a couple weeks ago that 25 birds sold for $4000. There is another this weekend, Hutchinson, Minn. that I wanted to attend but will be deer hunting so I am having a club member bid on a couple birds for me. Guest speaker is Rick Mardis. I didn't want any more birds but was given eggs this summer off a hen known as "charlie" winner of two digest awards, and ended up with a full sister and two daughters. A fourth egg was off of Champion YB club 07/Champion old bird club 09/ Champion Middle Distance SWMC 09/ Champion Old bird SWMC 10/ and overall winner of the Midwest Classic 2010. I can't not breed from these hens this year. "Charlie" was recently sold for $5000.
I think there is still auctions but they are mostly club fund raisers and you only get info if you are on their mailing lists.
George Bosma

Postby TonyD » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Jimm,

My point exactly, I never heard of the auction in Bowmanville. The Bob Durha auction this weekend is advertised in the CU news letter
Enjoy your pigeons
TonyD

Postby Oscar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 am

Hi Tony,
There are the auctions in Niagara Falls the 1st weekend in Dec. at the CU convention, there are many outstanding birds (m.o.)
If not going to the live auction, it is also on line.
Oscar

Postby Halcanada » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:14 pm

thought Ozzie was having an auction?
Halcanada

Postby Clarence Oosterveld » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Ozzie's auction is on line right now; Choice Pigeon and I-Pigeon. Not too much action as of yet.
Clarence Oosterveld

Postby Halcanada » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks. I looked. Pretty slow but Bob Duhra has an auction in Hamilton today. Better to handle the birds one wants to buy. Probably many mini-auctions this time of year. Clubs, Feds etc,. Personal choice.
Imports better than home grown? Without a doubt they do contribute the genes. But the big winners from Europe or offspring that are imported, unless exceptional, need to be acclamatized etc,. Just my opinion but think all the European genetics are already here. So the people who imported them years back and win with the offspring regularly should be the ones to buy off. BC to Prairies to Ontario to East coast, all different climates. Horses for courses. Must say though toughest pigeons have to be from the Western provinces. Extreme climate. Or they adapt better. For me anyway. Just my opinion is all.
Polish Prince, (just to name one) as Regal said last year, not many in Europe have even heard of him. Always interesting.
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Looked again. Young bird with 5 top positions. 37/55/15/57/11th.
Guess it depends on the presentation. Few other auctions on there from Canada need to look at.
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Some good ones. Hurry Home lofts (Like the blacks) and others. Nice birds there and all the other sites. Slow action though. Saturated with sellers?
Halcanada

Postby TonyD » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am

Ozzies birds are priced quit high....I seem to remember that he had an auction years ago that went very well....perhaps the birds didn't purform for the buyers or maybe his birds are not the flavour of the day.

Tough market right now with more birds available than buyers I guess
Enjoy your pigeons
TonyD

Postby Halcanada » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi Tony. Looks that way. Way the economy is does not help sales either.
Ozzie has good pigeons as do many others. Had some years back. Some did well others so-so. But as always, one buys the birds not the management.
Bob Duhra had an auction this weekend in Hamilton. Any one know how that went?
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Bob's auction. From a freind he said it went well. Not sure but 40 some birds went for $8,000 plus. Actually he bought one for $1,100. Janssen I think. Told me I could have a latebred or so off it next year. Free but declined the offer. I am getting a Houben hen off him plus 2 Van Loons this coming weekend. Older birds 2 years or so. Have gave him some birds that bred well for him last few years. EDM 963 Mealy last one I gave him. Toms. Plus a few others. So what goes around comes around.
Quite a while ago in another thread I was critised for giving birds away.
Stated at that time if I needed to restock the loft after some disaster birds would be available. Have to know who your friends are. Oh well. Works for me anyway.
Halcanada

Re: Advertising of Auctions

Postby TonyD » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:50 am

Most of the best birds I ever had were of stock that was given to me or the actual bird was given to me....when you have a good friend to trade with it does make things much more injoyable.
Enjoy your pigeons
TonyD

Postby TMak » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:01 am

There is a lot of truth in that.....But if you want to race even better than your friend...looking and spending your money on something different can pay off. : )
Enjoy the friendship and the pigeons!
TMak

Postby Halcanada » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Tom. I agree but look at it this way. I did pay $100 a bird for the van Loons. Never bred off previously. Super 73 lines but was told that. No peds. Bob Duhra birds that my freind handles in this area. Asking price was $350. Each. Told him to forget it. Guess he talked with Bob and let me have them for $100 each. Houben hen was free plus a couple of later breds from Magik or some name ike that. No pedigrees but no matter. The offspring do good they stay. Otherwise they go.
How else can one do it? If I had the cash to import birds, I probably would not. Anything Europe has that is good is also here.
Somewhere in North America. I could have a loft full of imports but to what avail? Probably only breed off so many anyway. Others sit and stagnate. No point. 20 to fly this year, cocks and 20 hens. They will be tested. I end up with 30% then they are the best of the bunch. More good, less not a problem. Actually less is better. They will go week after week. As always too many birds.
Halcanada

Postby jimm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:04 am

Tony D..just wanted to let you know of the sale at Hamilton Central club house on Jan 28..2012
In case you never got the flier..
jimm

Postby Joseph Erwin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 am

This one :Hamilton McIntyre
RR #1, Drumbo, Ontario N0J 1G0
519-463-5801
TOTAL SALE
At the
Hamilton Central Club House
located at 414 Highland Road East in Hamilton Ontario
Auction for Hamilton McIntyre
Member of the Oxford Racing Pigeon Club
Saturday, January 28th 2012
Viewing at 11:00 am Sale Starts at 1:00 pm
All Birds and Loft Equipment will be sold.
Also for sale will be one Unikon Clocking System.
Clock only used for one racing season.
For further information contact
Hamilton McIntyre
RR #1, Drumbo, Ontario N0J 1G0
519-463-5801
Joseph Erwin

Postby TonyD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Thank you , I never did get the flyer, I'll forward this to some I know.
Enjoy your pigeons
TonyD

Return to Auctions