Lighting again.

This forum is reserved for discussions related to various systems and methods used in our hobby.

Moderator: Bob Percival

Re: Lighting again.

Postby Halcanada » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Getting near that time again. Have done a lot of looking on the internet as to the light system. Thats why I thought to look here. Re-read all the previous posts. Still unclear. Wondering, can the youngsters be kept on 24 hour light from hatching to ? Will they moult through before end of June? Or a week or so later?
Halcanada

Postby Karl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Hal,
I like to breed early youngsters because there is not much else to do in the long winter. I just switch on the lights and wean the youngsters when they are 5 weeks old. By that time they can eat and drink all by themselves and I don't have to worry about them. The stress of weaning is also minimized because they don't need their parents any longer. I put them into the young bird loft without any artificial light and they begin to molt, usually just the small feathers. The same may still work for the second round but not so for the later ones. Those would need to be darkened because the daylight is longer than was the case for the first couple of rounds.
I also keep the day-length constant after the end of June and switch off the lights after the last young bird race. That weekend I do my yearly selection and move the birds into the lofts they will call their home for the coming year. After switching off the lights most birds will fall apart but not all. They are individuals and not clones. Very few of my young birds will molt all of their flight feathers in the fall but I no longer even look at that. With or without some baby flights they perform to my satisfaction in the Old Bird races as yearlings.
Each of us gets excited about different aspects of this hobby. While shows leave me completely indifferent, a friend of mine likes shows and even wanted to bring over some of his birds that had molted through completely already just to show me how pretty they are. To me that's completely irrelevant. The only things that count for me is a bird that wins first prize(s) or being the parents of such a bird, the latter of which will soon start their jobs and make this season enjoyable.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks Karl. Will try it this year. Again, thanks!
Halcanada

Postby Halcanada » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Well, lights have been on 14 or 16 hours for a few days now. The cocks are getting anxious already. Intend to mate about 1st week in December. Lots of straw on the floor of the stock loft. Breeding plans have changed as regards to parents. After culling some a while back, I added 4 best racers. Cocks. Older ones. 4 year old. Then added two more cocks, best racers 3 year old. Changing quite a few hens. Some raced before have had a year off. They will race again 2018. The cocks can pick there own mates. Of course, some hens that produced will re-mate to their cocks. On the basis that (in my opinion anyway) that breeders of winners do not always breed 100% winners, figure it is wise to switch around. So much so that two stray hens will be in the stock loft. The white one from Siegels, plus a Mexican Jansen mealy from Paul Gauvin. He told me to keep it and I did train it last year. Ummm..breeding from strays yet.., but curious!!
Halcanada

Postby Karl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Halcanada wrote:...Ummm..breeding from strays yet.., but curious!!

Well, there was that stray hen from the Janssen Brothers, I think, that had a chronic "1 eye cold". The Brothers told the guy to keep the hen which then became a very famous foundation hen.
Any bird can get lost, Hal, and how well a bird breeds can only be determined by flying the offspring. Good luck in your efforts this season.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 am

Halcanada

Postby David Kaplan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 am

Interesting information, thanks Hal. One day, when the clever people have sorted out all the racing pigeon genes, we may see some Super Racers, or all of the offspring of that bird make it home, but in the meantime, we have to do it your way, which is trial and error. :roll:

Ad Schaerlaeckens also writes about many a good bird, what he calls “Supers”, that came from an accidental mating of “left-over” birds after all the “good” stockbirds were paired up. So, best of luck, and I hope you raise some Supers from your matings! |||||^^
The courage of these birds continue to amaze me!
David Kaplan

Postby Karl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

A friend of mine did get his breeders typed but it escapes me what good it would do to know the genotype regarding that one gene. Here is what it says:
"
The A allele is a rare variation, found in less then 12% of normal racing pigeons and less then 1% of pigeons had the statisticlly more favorable AA genotype. It is important to mention that some top racing pigeons are BB genotype meaning that the A allele is not absolutely necessary to be able to perform at a high level. This suggests that additional genes are involved in race performance including speed and distance.
"

As I read it, it says that some top racing pigeons carry the B allele and other top racing pigeons carry the A allele, both alleles are types of one of very many genes coding for enzymes needed during carbohydrate metabolism but all of us know by now that the most important fuel for flying is fat and not carbohydrates. So knowing the genotype regarding this one gene would be pretty useless IMHO.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby David Kaplan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes, I agree Karl, I am sure Science will not find many more answers to what makes racing pigeons tick during our lifetime ... :wink:

The way Ad Schaerlaeckens writes about this in one of his articles, is where he was visiting a champion flyer with a number of foreign buyers with him. The foreign buyers were handling and inspecting the available birds for such a long time, especially looking at the eyes over and over again, that the champion flyer said to Ad: “They can look all they want, but they will never see what makes those pigeons good or bad birds”.] (\\)
David Kaplan

Postby Karl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Halcanada wrote:Well, lights have been on 14 or 16 hours for a few days now. The cocks are getting anxious already...

One week after the lights went on my birds, that probably weigh twice as much as in the race season, are eating much less than a few days ago. When it will be time to pair them up in a couple of weeks they will likely be in pretty good shape weight-wise.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Intend to pair mine Dec 3 or 4. Forecast is reasonable. Weather here has been depressing. Cloudy, snow, wet snow and rain. Always the wind off the Lake Erie keeping things cool. Cannot take the dogs for their usual runs around the barns. Cut that down to a 15 minute run now. Lot of corn still not off. About 1000 acres to go. Will be glad when it is. Grows to within 20 feet from the back of the lofts. Predators haven! Dogs check it out quite often. Two combines sitting here just waiting to go.
Bands. Was implied by a person yesterday that he could get me bands from Europe. Idea being to band young with them. Presumably to sell as imports later. That was my understanding anyway. Choose to ignore.
Halcanada

Postby David Kaplan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 am

I can’t imagine how you guys handle taking care of the birds in the snow and bitter cold, and then to raise youngsters at that time of the year!? … not for me thanks! Being from sunny South Africa, makes it tough enough for me to start breeding around the beginning of February here in Vancouver/Maple Ridge. |#|

But I do believe that there are certain advantages to winter breeding, especially in places where spring and early summer may be hot and wet, and where the bugs and ‘nasties’ thrive during that time of the year.

I recently came across a Breeding Cycle Chart and thought there may be someone on this discussion forum who may find it useful, but I cannot find the correct file format to upload it as an attachment ... can someone help please?
David Kaplan

Postby Karl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

David Kaplan wrote:I can’t imagine how you guys handle taking care of the birds in the snow and bitter cold, and then to raise youngsters at that time of the year!? … not for me thanks! Being from sunny South Africa, makes it tough enough for me to start breeding around the beginning of February here in Vancouver/Maple Ridge. |#|

But I do believe that there are certain advantages to winter breeding, especially in places where spring and early summer may be hot and wet, and where the bugs and ‘nasties’ thrive during that time of the year.

I recently came across a Breeding Cycle Chart and thought there may be someone on this discussion forum who may find it useful, but I cannot find the correct file format to upload it as an attachment ... can someone help please?

David, you need to convert the file to a jpg file , maximally 666 pixels wide or long, and upload it.
Karl
Site Admin

Postby Halcanada » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 pm

000_0245.JPG
000_0245.JPG (101.37 KiB) Viewed 177 times

Dave. One has to keep busy! Cannot hibernate! They started on the corn hour ago.
Halcanada

Postby David Kaplan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes Hal, I agree. Raising some youngsters during these dull, dreary, wet, dark, cold months of the year, can certainly help to pass the time in an interesting, enjoyable manner. :grin:

For those one or two fanciers who may still need a bit of help with planning their breeding season, this Breeding Cycle Chart from Mid Island Racing Pigeon Association may come in handy. |||||^^
Cheers!

http://midislandracingpigeonassociation ... chart.html

David Kaplan

Postby Halcanada » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks. Handy reference. Upgraded the feed today. Will send off for bands this weekend. As much as I would love to mate them now, , have to wait a week more before pairing. Got impatient years ago. had to band some with old bands. Just a nightmare flying them.
Halcanada

Previous

Return to Systems/Methods